To the Farbest Family and Community,
Thank you for your tireless dedication and commitment to our company during a time of great uncertainty. We have the awesome responsibility of supplying the world a quality source of protein, and we proudly own that responsibility. Because of the nature of our business and the President’s Executive Order as of April 28th, we fall into the category of “Essential Business Functions” according to the United States government and as a result, shall remain in production in every aspect during the COVID-19 pandemic under the Defense Production Act. Importantly, all of our supply chain vendors, farm families who grow our turkeys, employees in the processing plants, feed mills, and farms, as well as our customers, remain devoted to feeding the world during unprecedented times such as these. We communicate company-wide updates via many different outlets in English and Spanish multiple times a week, seeking to provide as much information to our workforce as possible.
We continue to take necessary steps to protect the health and well-being of these groups and our employees, and we fully expect to take further steps as they are needed. In addition to the standard daily sanitizing of our facilities, we have implemented additional measures that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Increasing monitoring at the manufacturing plants by inquiring about general health and recent travel, taking temperatures of all employees (those with temperatures over 100 degrees or other symptoms will be sent home without penalty), relaxing our attendance policy, and appropriately spacing out employees during entry/exit
- Encouraging pregnant employees, employees aged 65+, or 60+ with compromised immune systems, to take a paid quarantine at home for their safety
- Emphasizing social distancing with suspension of all non-essential meetings, increased seating options in break rooms and cafeterias, and adding spatial dividers on the assembly line and in the cafeteria
- Providing masks and requiring their use, offering ample access to hand sanitizer, as well as additional sanitizing of common areas such as cafeterias, break rooms, restrooms, locker rooms, and vending machines every two hours
- Immediate halt to non-essential commuting between our many facilities and encouraging employees who can work from home to do so
- Implementing “telemedicine” for all employees enrolled in our benefits program and offering our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to those who may feel isolated, anxious, or scared
Please trust that we look at all options to further improve the health and safety of our workforce daily. It is everyone’s duty to use social distancing behaviors at work and at home, as well as best hygiene practices in order to keep our families, friends, and team members safe. The situation is ever-changing, which is why we must be flexible to adapt and open to suggestions for furthering the safety of our employees.
Above all, if you do not feel well, please stay at home. If you feel a shortness of breath or you have a fever and/or cough, stay at home and notify Human Resources at your facility. If you or someone you live with is being tested for COVID-19, do not come to work and call in. You may have questions about COVID-19 or the policies and procedures of Farbest during this time, and we encourage you to call Human Resources at (812) 683-4200, Ext. 3133. One of our team members would be more than willing to help.
Our People and their safety will always be our first priority. We monitor the situation daily with the utmost care and attention. Again, thanks to all for upholding the high standards of Farbest amidst a global crisis. It is not a light load to bear, but our people are rising to the challenge. Together, we will continue to feed the world!
Ted J. Seger, President
Farbest Foods, Inc.